Welcome to the world of Haysie-Doodle, where the clothes are as unique as the kids who wear them!

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

27 dresses (or 30 or 42)


February... the month of Valentines and love.  I've decided to get a head start on my February sewing project.  My sewing room is FILLED with vintage bridesmaid dresses.  Mother finally divested herself of all the dresses she wore in the 1950's, and there are a LOT.  In the mix, there are also the dresses my sisters and I wore in various weddings in the 80's and 90's.  A few of the dresses even belonged to my grandmother.  Those date to the 30's and 40's.  A treasure trove... right?

The challenge... create new, one-of-a-kind children's dresses out of these great vintage fabrics.  I had them all dry cleaned to assure that the fabric is stable.  Every one of them held up beautifully.  There are some faded spots, and a few moth holes here and there.  I can work around those.  

My mind is racing thinking of how to use all the great trims, ribbons, bows, laces and buttons on the dresses, like this velvet ribbon woven through heavy satin, or the great sort of voile embroidered trim on the green dress below, or the dreamy chenille trim on the two-toned pink dress.  And there's so much more!  I'll try to post some of the creations as they're finished.  If you have some ideas, please post a comment and tell me your thoughts.  And now, as Maurice Sendak said "Let the wild rumpus begin!!"



No comments:

Post a Comment